2.20.2008

sew-in-love with embroidery

This is the pillow that we received on our wedding day from my Aunt Anna Mae. Her work is exquisite.
I would stay on their farm every summer and she, with needle-in-hand, taught me how to embroider. Thus began my love affair with embroidery.

Now go back 4 decades and this is my baby quilt embroidered by the same aunt who made the pillow top for our wedding.

The stitches have traveled in time from her hands into my heart.
---------------------------------

A set of matching pillow cases with intricate embroidery. Purchased from the thrift store.

I have such a passion for this type of embroidery work.


This quilt was also purchased in the $1.49 bin at the thrift store. The embroidery is so miniscule and the hand-quilting has survived the many hands & years that have touched it.

Yup.....sew-in-love with embroidery.

5 comments:

Lisa Boyer said...

Beautiful, beautiful post. The embroidery work is incredible. I can't believe the quality of the fill-in stitches! Very inspiring...

heymom said...

Thank you for sharing your gems. I have only a few at home that I treasure. I am glad keeping things close to our heart isn't out of style.

Knot Garden said...

I love to see old embroideries. The hand work that has gone into them is amazing. I'm sure you treasure these wonderful pieces. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Anne said...

WOW !! that embroidery is breath taking!!! GORGEOUS !!!

~~Deby said...

oh my..I am browsing again this morning..your work is beautiful..and I too love embroidery...I have not picked up my stitching since last Nov.24th...my brother, who was 44 died that night..I was by his bedside, stitching...I know..I need to get past this mental block of sorts...and just do it..I am being inspired by browsing your sweet blog...