8.27.2009

shades of gray


Gray is a neutral, balanced color. It is a cool, conservative color. Gray carries with it some of the strengh and mystery of black. It is a sophisticated color and all shades of gray can be good background colors. --from the meaning of the color gray
~~~
I am beginning to enjoy the color of gray. It seems to be found in subtle places. Vintage cubby holes of shelves & drawers. The siding on a country house. And socks.
.
.
Socks? You know my obsession with socks.....
.
.....and now with the ecstatic discovery of Patons Stretch Sock Yarn, I have finally crocheted a sock that easily slips onto the foot. Yes, I did say -- 'easily'. No tugging. No pretending to be one of Cinderella's step-sisters trying to squish a big foot into a teeny, tiny shoe. This went on so effortlessly.
.

.
And this licorice colored yarn is so, so yummy. And here is the key ----> the yarn stretches. And that is huge here in my little crochet world.
.

.
It means that when using this Origami Turkish sock pattern; my new favorite crunch stitch crocheted in the back loop only; a size E hook and this miracle-of-all-sock-yarn; I can actually crochet a sock that is wearable.
.


Oh, the possibilities & oh, the yarn choices!

9 comments:

Sally said...

Oh, Dawn! That colour is yummy. I don't usually go for grey but that one kinda grabs you! I don't crocket, but I knit and that makes one super sock, regardless of method.

Evelyn said...

Nice socks! The colour reminds me winter in England. See you. Now, what are you going to do? A pair of spring socks??

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love those socks. I'm not a knitter but I can crochet - I've just never thought to look for a pattern. I've only crocheted simple things though. How hard is this pattern to follow? blessings, marlene

Meggie said...

Swooning & groaning at the lovely socks you have created. I can almost feel the fit about my foot!!
Your Greyness, has been a bright spot in my day!!

Tino said...

Cant belive that you have crochet this socks! It is so nice! Love the colour and it seems to fit perfect!
Have a nice weekend!

QuiltedSimple said...

Oh how lovely!!!! The color is so perfect.
Kris

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Gray is one of my favorite colors, always has been. Maybe because my grandmother loved it. I am so glad you are enjoying making the socks and your wonderful new yarn. I truly understand how can make you so happy. Twyla

Amy said...

isn't the stretch great? I love how it feels.your sock looks great. thanks for sharing,Amy

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the pattern!! I have been looking for a great looking crochet sock pattern and I can not wait to give this pattern a go!! Thanks again!!